[governance] RE: Good contribution on IP addresses and Internet Governance

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Apr 25 09:59:18 EDT 2011

No, the IPv4 situation is completely different from what has happened before. It has not been going on for a long time. Due to the full occupation of the IANA free pool, we are approaching a situation in which access to address resources is competitive and can only be allocated to their best use via transfers; i.e., one person must give up for another to get any.

> what is in irr that is important.. In terms of ig and the developing
> world, this issue has flared up again in the african region yesterday.
> Ironically, in africa, we have more v4 numbering resources than in
> asia, us or eu left to give out. Should we sell them to corporate
> america hoping to maximise revenue for the african rir and speed up v6

You mean corporate Asia. That is where the strongest demand is.

> deployment, or hold on to these resources, allowing for a longer
> transition to v6? If i wasnt in the bush, staring down rhinos

My advice: hold on to them.
If you want any more investment advice you'll have to pay me. ;-)

--MM
     governance at lists.cpsr.org