[governance] Good contribution on IP addresses and Internet Governance

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Apr 22 21:16:16 EDT 2011

On 04/22/2011 01:23 PM, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
> Which one? George's, Canada's, or McTim's? You might find Industry
> Canada's declaration innocuous, but... ignorant??

A lot of people treat the word "property" as some sort of mystical
talisman full of deep meaning and overwhelming portent.

But to do so is silly.

"Property" is nothing more than the accumulation of human-defined rights
and obligations that people (and fake-people, i.e. corporations) have
towards a tangible or intellectual thing.

Only the laws of physics - things like gravity and inertia -supersede
what we humans decide are those rights and obligations.  In other words
there is no "natural" or god given law of property.

Yet so many people think that if they label a thing as "property" that
an "owner's" rights are paramount over every other interest.

That, of course, is nonsense best left where it belongs - in the middle
ages.

Leaping to IP addresses - they are just numbers - and the only reason
they are useful is that there is a binding between a computer interface
and one of those numbers that is honored by one or more people/companies
that route IP packets.  It is that honoring of the use of one of those
numbers by a particular person that is what makes an "IP address" into
something more useful than a random number.

Most folks who do the routing of IP packets honor the allocations made
by Jon Postel and by the RIRs.  It is that honoring of allocations that
give IP addresses their value.

What is being bought and sold when people "sell" IP addresses is more
than the number itself - it is the "good will", that honoring of the
number for the purposes of routing IP packets, that is being sold.

Yet even that is a weak right - because just because you or I have an IP
address that comes from Jon Postel or a RIR does not mean that those who
do IP routing are obligated to honor me by routing packets towards that
address number.

In other words, even if I have a RIR/Postel granted IP address I have no
right to require that other people configure their routers so that
packets bearing my address are, in fact, routed towards me and not to
someone else.

What I am getting at with all of this is that when we start to talk
about IP addresses, let's drop the heavily overloaded word "property"
and start to talk about who obtains what legally enforceable rights *and
duties* as the result of an address allocation.

(And, of course, this includes the question of who can do such
allocations.  I am busy writing a note on why I feel that IPv6 will not
take off - because we have already begun to take steps towards what I
call a "lumpy" internet, in which the end-to-end principle has been lost
in favor of a view of the net as a platform for a few popular
applications.  This lumpy net is formed from several *complete* IP
address spaces that join to one another through well defined (and thus
easily controlled, regulated, and taxed) application layer gateways.)

	--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org