On NN workshop RE: Re: [governance] Three IGC workshops ) NN FYI DIPLO

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 03:38:45 EDT 2011

Hi McTim,

FCC discussing network freedom or NN has no concern for Pakistan
because their gov doesn't know what their talking about and how does
it impact the future of the Internet in Pakistan and the citizens of
the country don't give a damn about the debate so why is the global
community even talking about it, what's their problem, lets not have a
workshop of NN anyways.

Thats the weak link that has to be mitigated. They have to be
concerned and why, that is the objective that I was trying to bring
into the discussion and not attempting to go through an unwinding
debate.

At one point we talk about distribution and management of critical
Internet resources, at the other end we say it the debate can't be
done in developing countries because the debate is just on one side of
the world. Thats the whole point, shift the dialogue to another part
of the world and break the NN silos sustained by NN debate gurus and
away from the sector that is afraid of improvements to the IGF the
most.

When you say that:
> What is confusing is that you say that
> there is a lack of capacity in the developing world on the one hand, yet
> want to include only them?
Now I am confused why you fall into the silo trap........I said
developing country perspective only which means bring in the NN gurus
that can tell developing countries after listening to the developing
country's perception of NN, that where they are right and wrong, thats
the first case, create the awareness.

You are definitely technically strong and that is why you refer to
what resources and what examples and since I am not in an intervention
with you here, I will reserve my right, energy and knowledge to
explain and would be happy to discuss this out with only people coming
from similar conditions as of mine.

In the end, if workshops are only to feed the educated or give a few
minutes of fame to the worthy, the whole point of workshop
organizations fades. Secondly, my generation comes in with a different
perspective and it can be changed or improved by failed perceptions.
The NN debate can be developing country led and there is no opposition
to it unless silos get threatened.

Best

Fouad

--