[governance] What next with the IGF Improvement?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 16:14:58 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> “capacity building” is not the IGF’s purpose, that is the purpose foisted
> upon it by people who want to neuter it. Guess what? They have succeeded,
> which is why fewer and fewer people care about what the IGF does.

para 72

72. We ask the UN Secretary-General, in an open and inclusive process,
to convene, by the second quarter of 2006, a meeting of the new forum
for multi-stakeholder policy dialogue—called the Internet Governance
Forum (IGF). The mandate of the Forum is to:
.
.
.

h. Contribute to capacity building for Internet governance in
developing countries, drawing fully on local sources of knowledge and
expertise.

> I think the tack I would take is that because there is a conflict between
> those who want outputs and those who want to focus on capacity building, the
> IGF spends too much time and energy on discussing itself, and not enough
> time doing its main purpose, which is capacity building.

ok, maybe I should have said "mandate" and not main purpose.

In either case, I'm waiting for that biz class ticket ;-)

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org