[governance] Statement by Internet technical & academic community reps to CSTD WG on IGF

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Apr 12 10:39:56 EDT 2011

In message <p0620071ec9c9ffe25ae1@[10.0.1.6]>, at 09:17:02 on Tue, 12
Apr 2011, George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at gmail.com> writes

>Perhaps the CSTD working group could even eventually evolve into a
>bureau with decision making capability!  :-)

During the WG meeting on 24th March I posted here:

        "Today's working group is pretty much indistinguishable from the
        bureau ... Has anyone yet suggested replacing the MAG with a
        continuance of the WG?"

As for continuing the debate into a possible 3rd session of the WG,
there's a problem with timescales, because the CSTD meeting will be
debating the WG's report in just six weeks from today, with a
requirement to send recommendations to July's ECOSOC meeting.

In view of this recent letter from one of the stakeholder groups, we can
probably assume that there isn't a draft-for-approval of the final
report circulating yet.

What if that report was just to say "we've had a lot of discussions,
quite a lot of agreement, but there's much more work to be done; we
recommend the General Assembly[1] appoints a Bureau (and by implication
scraps the MAG) to continue this work in conjunction with future host
countries and Open consulations". And the vacant IGF Chair would then
conveniently be filled by the CSTD Chair (who could delegate the role
like they did with the WG).

[1] This is the main problem, until that sits at the end of the year,
    the WG doesn't have a mandate. But then neither does the MAG, which
    is presumably awaiting the GA as well.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org