[governance] Proposed workshop text on global net neutrality

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Apr 12 04:07:30 EDT 2011

In message <64D6BC24-2F1C-4B0E-836D-1D4FC5C78E49 at post.harvard.edu>, at
20:58:18 on Mon, 11 Apr 2011, David Allen
<David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu> writes
>Generally, in my experience, email is not a case with tiered prices to
>be paid for different size attachments.

That's right. Nevertheless, it's a hopefully easy-to-understand
illustration of the concept that "size matters" when considering the
transport of content on the Internet.

Of course, there also isn't a tiered pricing structure at my blogging
site, to ensure that I can "pay" to have my blogs transported worldwide,
unhindered. So a distant network seeking to make more money [actually,
"any money"] by trying to charge me for that facility, is out of luck.

The model of "charge the content provider" to get unhindered
distribution currently only works *very* locally to the website.

Which is why we need to take care when there are proposals for
settlement-based international peering, which I see as a bigger issue
than whether YouTube should be allowed to pay a local mobile network to
carry its content over and above a handset user's monthly quota (and
therefore allowing that network's handsets to be advertised as
"unlimited YouTube", which will increase their sales).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org