[governance] Proposed workshop text on global net neutrality

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 23:13:59 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:37 AM, David Allen
<David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2011, at 5:23 PM, McTim wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, i reposted the earlier unedited text. the new edited text is below
>>>
>>> Network Neutrality has, over the last year, in many countries, become an
>>> urgent issue for Internet governance. The US Federal Communications
>>> Commission promulgated NN guidelines; to do so, the FCC, a public policy
>>> entity, started from the terms of an agreement between two corporate, and
>>> so
>>> private, players.
>>

>> not so IIRC.  Making such an assertion is misleading at best.
>
> Provenance is never precise, is it.  But many (quite well) informed folks,
> wrt the US comms policy process, were satisfied that the private
> Google-Verizon deal set the terms for what emerged finally at the FCC.

It was the previous multilateral negotiations that formed the basis of
the FCC proposal.  It also informed the GV agreement.  If you notice,
the most objected to bit of the GV (treat wireless differently) isn't
in the FCC proposal.

> little Googling is illustrative.

I Google every day!
--