[governance] Proposed workshop text on global net neutrality

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 17:23:10 EDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> Sorry, i reposted the earlier unedited text. the new edited text is below
>
> Network Neutrality has, over the last year, in many countries, become an
> urgent issue for Internet governance. The US Federal Communications
> Commission promulgated NN guidelines; to do so, the FCC, a public policy
> entity, started from the terms of an agreement between two corporate, and so
> private, players.

not so IIRC.  Making such an assertion is misleading at best.

 The EU has conducted a pulbic hearing on the issue; the
> French telecom regulatory authority has proposed a set of NN
> recommendations; Brazil is drafting a civil rights framework for the
> Internet, of which NN is an important element. Earlier, in 2009, Norway
> issued NN guidelines, now broadly acclaimed.
> The Internet is a global network

of networks

and finally there must be common global
> norms:

but there are already "global norms".  We usually call them "Standards"

 can content be prioritised across global digital highways (including
> across global interconnection points) based on purchase of that priority by
> content providers? Interestingly, cross border network neutrality is a
> subject being dealt by an experts committee of the Council of Europe. If we
> do not start talking about global norms, taking into consideration the
> interests and viewpoints of all involved, we will eventually find ourselves
> forced into a default regime of global traffic flows decided only by key
> economic powers, who often are private actors.

We are already there, and have been for quite some time.
it's called QoS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6073/is_2_9/ai_n29363347/

--