[governance] You don't need DPI or a "kill switch" to shut off the Internet...apparently

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 13:55:07 EDT 2011

http://gawker.com/#!5789474

Elderly people and the Internet are timeless foes. A 75-year-old lady
from the Republic of Georgia scored a point for the olds when she cut
off the entire country of Armenia from the net last month.

According to the AFP, the woman was scavenging for scrap metal around
the village of Ksanai on March 28. She came across a fiber-optic cable
linking Armenia to Georgia and she cut it up to sell the copper.
Unfortunately, that cable provided the majority of Armenia's internet
service, and the poor Armenians were cut off from the Internet for
"hours" that evening. Now she faces up to three years in prison.

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org