[governance] What next with the IGF Improvement?

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 13:32:58 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Bertrand de La Chapelle <
bdelachapelle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Parminder,
>
> You made, as usual, a very detailed, thoughtful and passionate statement. I
> believe you raised very valid questions - at least in the eyes of a
> non-participant in the WG exercise.
>
> However, like Jeanette, I am always cautious when I spot the emergence of
> too rigid either/or alternatives, that risk tending towards: "which side are
> you on" ? and rapidly : "there is a right side and a wrong side, and
> unfortunately my interlocutors happen to be on the wrong side" :-) We've
> seen where this can lead in history. So let's pause for a second when doing
> the post-mortem of the WG.
>
> There is indeed an important issue regarding the concept of working groups
> (multi-stakeholder) and the role of secretariats. But they are not
> necessarily antagonistic: good secretariat is needed for efficient working
> groups and secretariat without community input rapidly means capture.

If the report of workshop deliberations / summary IGF deliberations have to
truly reflect the mood of the IGF, the very process of generating the
report/summary has to be a process so open and transparent as the process in
tune with the openness of the IGF. This can also be a participative,
collaborative process - a wikipedialike or at least a wiki process of
collaborative summarization. You have mentioned the possibility of capture
in a situation where Secretariat acts without community input.
Argumentatively speaking, the reverse could also be true, without checks and
balances in the community process. What if a workshop is proposed by an
Interest Group with a Chair of the workshop sympathetic to that Interest and
acts alone to produce a summary or a set of recommendations in the best
interest of the Interest Group?

>From within the IGF community, the reports and recommendation need to arise
as a participative process that could include a Secretariat. The report
needs to be a transparent and accessible document open to edits and comments
during and after the process of summarization. As a permanent reference the
deliberations of all debates have to remain on record  as transcripts, video
records together with the presentations on screen during the debate more in
the nature of a recorded abode meeting.

Sivasubramanian M

So the debate can be a little bit more nuanced.