[governance] What next with the IGF Improvement?

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Fri Apr 1 08:25:49 EDT 2011

On 30.03.2011 21:13, Marilia Maciel wrote:
> Hi Jeanette and all,
>
> Your e-mail is short, and yet, provides so much food for discussion. I
> envy your conciseness! :)

Thank you, Maciel, I guess I was just tired :-)

>     Actually, I don't want to decide this question. I would prefer to
>     look at these issues as a process rather than a binary decision.
>

> There are occasions we do need to make a decision. In the WG, either we
> would take by the hand the task of writting the report or we would leave
> it to the Secretariat.

I was only referring to the issue of outcomes. Since I did not follow
that meeting, I cannot assess the significance of the authorship of the
drafting report.

>     We have faced the issue of formal outcome versus no outcome at all
>     over several years. Both options have support from strong groups.
>     The way out of such constellations is evolution not an either/or
>     constellation.
>

> In my opinion we are not witnessing the same debate taking place over
> the years. The debate has changed, in an evolutionary manner, I would
> say. Three years ago there were those who would argue for strong
> recommendation from the IGF, even binding. Today, this option is out of
> the table. No stakeholder group defended anything like that in the WG.
> In general terms, we are between "no change" and "outcomes that reflect
> converging views and alternative policy options". There is no
> deliberation involved, as all different views would be reflected.  This
> is change and evolution, in my view. Shouldn´t the ones that want "no
> outcomes" take a step towards the point of convergence and equilibrium?

Yes, no doubt, they should. And I fought for such an approach on the MAG
- to no avail. Still, if formal paths towards tackling the issue of
outcomes are blocked there remain informal paths such as experimenting
with outcomes on the regional and national level. What is more, formal
rules can always be reinterpreted over time.

>     What I would have liked to see is an experimental approach where
>     each annual IGF meeting will try out new versions of reporting
>     taking on board the experiences from regional and national IGFs.
>

> Certainly, that would be interesting, I strongly support that idea as
> well. But it does not exclude any of the approaches above.
>
>     In my view, it would have been sufficient if the CSTD WG would have
>     endorsed such an open process.
>

> Honestly, I think that this would be quite little for an expert WG to
> propose as the main improvement to the IGF,

Actually, right now I would be happy if we don't lose what we have
achieved over the past 5 years. The original mandate provides so much
space for evolution. In my view, the bottleneck isn't the mandate, the
bottleneck is the composition of the MAG!

and this would not address
> the concern expressed in the report of the Secretary-general, which
> served as base for the convening of the WG in the first place.

Don't we all agree that the concerns of the SG are more about the
multistakeholder approach as such than the concrete structure of the
IGF? The wording is part of a language game that should be treated as such.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org