[governance] Criterion for charter voting

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 07:39:16 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I received the message for voting and I was confused to see 7
questions and then a confirmation from Jeremy that I had completed a
survey and inquisitiveness to me further to explore what it was.The
questions took me through the vote for Co-Coordinator, nomination
committees (selecting one to do all tasks) to select CSTD WG member
nominations, MAG member nominations (where as none has been announced
on the governance list) and appeals team nomination.

First, I might have missed some form of call that may have been
specifically given prior to whether this would be an election, a
survey or a combination of both, without the prior consensus of the
governance list. Please confirm.

Second, there was a separate call for IGC nominations for the CSTD WG
to which I forwarded my nomination as well as made the comment that we
should be able to ensure that nominations would be actually present
during the two meetings in Geneva in Nov'10 and Feb'11 but no
confirmation came through whether we should discuss this possibility
and finally no call has been made for MAG members from the IGF
Secretariat nor on the IGC list and third the appeals team is set to
end in 2011 and thus there is sufficient time to constitute three
different Nomination Selection committees. The first for the CSTD WG
selection that may be done with the amendment of the two month prior
requirement. The MAG nomination committee can be constituted when the
IGF Secretariat actually sends a call that new members need to be
nomination. Finally there is sufficient time for the Appeals Team next
year.

Finally on the issue of capture. There is sufficient time to review
the IGC charter as we move towards a possible IGF mandate renewal to
enable more participation and reduce issues of capture and we can
start a separate thread for Charter Improvements. I am still not sure
about whether the two month requirement has to be there, this is
debatable but I would prefer it on a separate purposefully focused
thread on the issue.

I would like to request this approach of merging Election plus Survey
to be deemed as in-appropriate because it has been very confusing. I
appreciate Jeremy's effort but I am not in right of merging and
creating confusion on two different processes and gluing them into
Nomination Committees issues and then the misunderstandings of Charter
amendments to build up like this.

-- Fouad Bajwa

     governance at lists.cpsr.org