[governance] Remote participation at Vilnius IGF 2010

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 03:24:03 EDT 2010

Hello all

You can find the web-cast & twitter messages (an interesting informal part
of remote participation...) from Workshop 126, along with links to some
short clips extracted from the webcast and posted on Facebook, at
http://igf2010.diplointernetgovernance.org/session/ws126

I'll also link the transcript there when it's available.

Jovan's blog post on the terminology of remote participation might also be
interesting:
http://www.diplointernetgovernance.org/profiles/blogs/how-remote-is-remote

All the best

Tim

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Ginger Paque <gpaque at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I am glad to see appreciation for the remote volunteer team: they worked
> very hard. Tx.
>
> Izumi... that is not a strange proposal at all. Indeed, the Remote
> Participation Workshop No. 126 discussion included a proposal that an IGF be
> designed that could take place entirely through remote participation: both
> presenters and attendees! This may not yet be a practical application, but
> it does indicate that remote participation -- or, perhaps 'local
> participation'  (considering that it is the physical meeting which is in a
> 'remote' venue), is evolving to enhance the impact of 'remote' attendees.
>
> Semantics and definitions underlie verbal discussions, and RP is not exempt
> from word play :) This year we emphasized 'engage remotely, connect
> locally', and see that this is indeed a mobile and global concept. Who is
> really local, who is 'remote'? Is there a better way to describe 'remote'
> participation?
>
> The RP workshop discussion was excellent and moved from applications and
> techniques to a more mature level of policy and issues to concretely address
> access and inclusion. We will post a transcript online for continued
> exchange in comments around the transcript itself. I will post a link to the
> discussion once it is uploaded.
>
> Again, congratulations to everyone, local and 'remote'... IG is behind many
> important concepts and innovations, not only multistakeholder (ism)
> meetings, but remote participation and well.
>

> Ginger (Virginia) Paque
> IGCBP Online Coordinator
> DiploFoundation
> www.diplomacy.edu/ig
>
> *The latest from Diplo...*
> http://DISCUSS.diplomacy.edu is a space for discussing ideas and concepts
> from Diplo’s teaching and research activities. Our activities focus on three
> main areas: Internet governance, diplomacy, and global governance. In
> September, we DISCUSS: a) network neutrality: hype and reality, b) the IGF
> experience: what can policy makers learn from the IGF, and c) the history of
> the Internet. Let us know if you have suggestions about ideas and concepts
> that should be discussed.
>
> On 9/26/2010 11:05 AM, Izumi AIZU wrote:
>
> I also like to echo the congratulations and thanks, and also one
> (strange) proposal for the next round.
>
> How about, making things "upside-down"?
> I mean at physical meeting of the IGF, how about making the
> main speakers and participants all remote? So far, the remote
> participation and participants are regarded as supplementary,
> but not given a front-seat status. But think of online chat or
> conference call where no one is physically present and taking
> floors as main participants. Everyone is remote. At IGF, we can
> have the physical participants there, but making most speakers
> and interactions online, webcast, chat etc.
>
> I think it's worth a try so that those who cannot come to the venue
> [...]

http://www.timdavies.org.uk
07834 856 303.
@timdavies

Co-director of Practical Participation:
http://www.practicalparticipation.co.uk
Practical Participation Ltd is a registered company in England and Wales -
#5381958.