[governance] IMPORTANT: 10 members required to approve a

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Sep 27 02:13:42 EDT 2010

On Sunday 26 September 2010 11:09 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> 8. Each nomcom will be selected for a specific decision and will be
> disbanded after the decision is made.  [However, in special cases
> where several different nominating committees would need to be
> completed in a shortened time frame that did not allow for multiple
> nominating committees, the co-coordinators may jointly request
> one nominating committee to fill several functions.]

Jeremy

Are you sure you will want to use the same nomcom for 'several
functions' or instead use the same set of nomcom volunteers to maybe
constitute different nomcoms for different functions, especially if they
are substantively different, and all very important. This will lead to a
greater diffusion of nominating power. Also often nomcom decisions for
different functions may need to be made independent of each other.

The process bottleneck is not of constituting a nomcom from among those
who volunteer, or the work of the nomcom itself. The bottleneck mostly
is in people volunteering. So if you enable yourself to use the same set
of volunteers to form multiple nomcoms as required, that will work as well.

Also like McTim and Jeanette, I really do not think any of these things
require a charter amendment vote. They can be done as the charter stand now.

Just my 2 cents... Parminder