[governance] my short statement

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Sun Sep 26 09:50:12 EDT 2010

Short statement

I would like to be selected for the co-coordinator’s position of the
Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus.

I see that next 6 to 12 months will be very crucial for the Civil
Society movement around the continuation of IGF, and also for the WSIS
2015. There is a clear danger to the multi-stakeholder principle and
framework for the IGF. Unless we raise the voices strongly and act
together, we may lose the ground we have gained so far, I am afraid.

Having participated in most of ICANN meetings and all WSIS and IGF
meetings, I would like to bring my experience to the crucial process
ahead, to lobby governments and private sector why they should work
together with us on equal footing. I like to further promote the
interests of the developing parts of the world, gender-equal
perspectives and the voices of the ignored, unfairly treated.

My skill is “bridging” – connecting different values, sides, cultures,
or interests. I still feel not so confident in using English, as that
is not my mother tongue, therefore I believe I can represent
non-English speaking majority of the civil society people fairly well.
For the next IGF (and WSIS), I propose to make the working language
not only English, but also other major languages (at least). I also
propose to have much more “open space” at the next round of IGF, to
allow free exchange of ideas, between old-timer and new-bees,
cross-cultural and cross-sectoral, to advance “multi-stakeholderism”
one step ahead and one more step practical.

Of course, as a coordinator, I will serve for the entire caucus and
willing to listen, facilitate and coordinate as the members dictate.
To do so effectively, however, I also like to propose that at least
one of the co-coordinators should be selected at the coming CSTD
advisory member and also the MAG for IGF. This way, the linkage
between these advisory groups, sometimes showing closed nature, and
our caucus will be strengthened. This is not to say that I personally
want to be there, but whoever selected as the coordinator should be
there.

I welcome more suggestions, opinions and proposals.

I appreciate your help and support very much.

Izumi Aizu
     governance at lists.cpsr.org