[governance] IMPORTANT: 10 members required to approve a streamlined IGC nominating committee process for this year

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sat Sep 25 22:55:03 EDT 2010

I intend to propose an important amendment to our charter, which will have effect for this year only.

The charter requires that an IGC nominating committee select only one slate of candidates at a time, and that it take two months before making its selections (one month to determine the criteria for selections, and another month to decide on the candidates).

This would not leave us enough time to nominate members for the CSTD's IGF working group.  Moreover, since a nominating committee will also be required to appoint a new appeals team and new representatives for the MAG, I am proposing a streamlined procedure for this year only.

The charter amendment that I propose is as follows:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of this charter, the nominating committee that serves to select representatives to the IGF working group of the CSTD (Commission on Science and Technology for Development) in 2010:

(a) may abbreviate its procedures for determining the selection criteria for candidates to that working group and selecting those candidates, as necessary to meet the CSTD's schedule for convening that group;

(b) may also select candidates to be put forward by the IGC for the MAG (Multistakeholder Advisory Group) that is next convened following the Vilnius meeting of the IGF; and

(c) may also select candidates for the next appeals team of the IGC."

In order to put this charter amendment to a vote, I require nine other members of the IGC to propose the amendment.  I am therefore requesting nine others to speak up in support of the proposal above.

NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A VOTE ON THE AMENDMENT.  It is only a call for support to put the amendment to a vote.  The vote itself will be conducted in conjunction with the upcoming coordinator election.  Once nine other members have spoken in favour, there will be no need for others to respond.
--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.