[governance] Council of Europe Framework of Commitment

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sat Sep 25 06:46:37 EDT 2010

Dear all

I followed with great interest the recent thread on an international Internet Governance treaty triggered by a misleading public article. Obviously the author of this article misunderstood something and was not fully informed about the purpose and background of the COE initiative and the role of the workshop 60 within the recent IGF. However the started debate is very useful and helps to clarifiy some issue which are under constant and evolving discussion.

To stimulare the discussion further I invite you to comment to the "Discussion Paper" which was tabled in Vilnjus as a backgrounder for Workshop 60. We - that is in particular the small CEO Expert Group which I chair (with Michael Yakushew as Co-Chair and Rolf Weber und Christian Singer as members) and some CEO people - would be very thankful for all kind of input.

We will have a small group meeting early November 2011 (to evaluate the feedback from the Vilnjus workshop) and have to report back to the CDMC (which is the CEO Ministerial Committee) mid-November. Based on this report we will draft a workplan for 2011.

We think that the background paper is just a starter and it needs much more time, analysis and involvment of other groups to move from a set of ideas, principles and proposals to a more serious and comprehensive proposal. Our plan is, inter alia, to prepare a larger expert workshop in connection with the forthcoming 4th EURODIG end of May 2011 in Belgrade and a more global oriented workshop in connection with the 6th IGF in Nairobi end of September 2011. You are cordially invited to join this process.

Best wishes

wolfgang