[governance] International Internet Treaty proposed by Europe

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 02:41:25 EDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:13 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> Bill
>

> The real issue here is how we reach a set of globally acceptable standards
> of what constitutes harm or damage through and over the Internet. That is
> the crux of the issue. And I strongly believe that

Some of us believe that the real issue is "should we" reach a set of
globally acceptable standards, and not "how do we".

> (1) we cannot figure that out unless we all sit down to discuss it,  I mean
> all global stakeholders
>
> (2) any such global normative discussions. and their likely outcomes, have a
> high chance of raising the bar in terms of human rights etc then lead us to
> the lowest common denominator.

At best, that is over optimistic, at worst, hopelessly naive.

Yes, thing may not turn out exactly as per
> our best hopes, but it will be better than how it is now

conjecture I think.

(remember, almost
> all countries are already able to control traffic flows inside their borders
> as much as they want to, or will soon be able to do so).

How is this "control" accomplished (outside of the relatively few
nation states that mandate a single gateway)?

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org