[governance] a good read

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 17:03:29 EDT 2010

Hmmm, Jeanette interesting thoughts....in relation to information
governance, why I think   internet governance is a more endearing term
is that (aside from my past comments on the subject) the term internet
covers:-

1)Backhaul (global submarine cable networks, fiber networks, radio
waves, satellite technology via which information is carried including
how this is governed in the various jurisdictions (regulatory
capacity, Competition authority determinations that make internet
accessible or not, degree of market liberalisation, nature of
competition etc;

2)ICT prioritisation within the national agenda (whether states have a
governance framework in terms of coherent ICT plans that address
universal service, access, harmonisation of national policies,
regional policies eg. antidumping laws, product liability, issues of
standardisation whether product related or quality of service issues;

3)Treatment of content, issues of privacy and security are all
determined by the type of government, its form and preferred
philosophical base etc...

These are all indicators to me of why the Term Internet Governance
should remain, what will address the debate behind...advocates who
argue that the term "IG" should change would be to have the issues,
crystallised and placed in systematic threads...when I hear the term
Information Governance, i think of point 3 in my email.

We all have different paradigms and they are determined by our areas
of expertise, but it is critical when discussing issues of massive
philosophical implications that we address the issue holistically.

Warm Regards from Auckland,

Sala

Salanieta Tudrau Tamanikaiwaimaro
P.O.Box 17862