[governance] Google and its policy on requests by governments to block/ remove content/ obtain personal data

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 06:46:38 EDT 2010

Dear All

I am not sure whether this has been featured on this list - I only half
(quarter) follow it.

Regards,

Rui
Transparency Report

http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/

Transparency is a core value at Google. As a company we feel it is our
responsibility to ensure that we maximize transparency around the flow of
information related to our tools and services. We believe that more
information means more choice, more freedom and ultimately more power for
the individual.

We’ve created an interactive map of Government
Requests<http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/governmentrequests/>that
shows the number of government inquiries for information about users
and requests for Google to take down or censor content. We hope this step
toward greater transparency will help in ongoing discussions about the
appropriate scope and authority of government requests.

Our interactive Traffic
<http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/traffic/>graphs provide
information about traffic to Google services around the
world. Each graph shows historic traffic patterns for a given country/region
and service. By illustrating outages, this tool visualizes disruptions in
the free flow of information, whether it's a government blocking information
or a cable being cut. We hope this raw data will help facilitate studies
about service outages and disruptions.
Transparency Report: Government Requests
http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/governmentrequests/

Like other technology and communications companies, we regularly receive
requests from government agencies around the world to remove content from
our services, or provide information about users of our services and
products. This map shows the number of requests that we received in
six-month blocks with certain
limitations<http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/faq.html#governmentrequestsfaq>[takes
you the the FAQ - Rui].

We’re still learning the best way to collect and present this information.
We’ll continue to improve this tool and fine-tune the types of data we
display.
Here, the FAQ on the policy:
http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/faq.html#governmentrequestsfaq

--
_________________________

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
Angola Liaison Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,