[governance] net neutrality and mobiles

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 23 01:49:27 EDT 2010

Hi All

See below more news of continued vertical integration and violation of
net neutrality principle in developing countries (wonder how is it in
developed countries, and developing countries like Brazil which have a
general NN agreement).

Customised handsets take one directly to a telecom operator controlled
portal, which then would control one's online experience. Enough
freebies and utilities will be packed into this portal, to make it
attractive and help develop deep dependencies, which is easy to do since
the telecom completely controls the channel and there seems to be no one
watching over.

I hope we could collectively ponder over and debate the implication of
this fast changing scenario of wireless Internet on issues of rights,
equity and justice. Very soon it will be too late, and the new
architecture will be set and petrified. As they say, 'architecture is
policy' unless policy comes in early enough to influence the
architecture in the right directions. Parminder

http://telecomyatra.afaqs.com/news/?sid=1971_Tata+Docomo+Yahoo!+and+Alcatel+form+alliance  <http://telecomyatra.afaqs.com/news/?sid=1971_Tata+Docomo+Yahoo%21+and+Alcatel+form+alliance>  <http://telecomyatra.afaqs.com/news/?sid=1971_Tata+Docomo+Yahoo%21+and+Alcatel+form+alliance>

Tata Docomo has announced the launch of its first co branded mobile
handset OneTouch Net in collaboration with Alcatel and Yahoo!

The Qwerty device offers one touch access to Tata Docomo's Dive In
portal and comes pre loaded with Yahoo!'s services.

The phone will be available in two colour combinations - white and
lavender, and black and silver. It comes with 80 MB of in built memory,
a 2.0 megapixel camera, MP3 player, FM radio and stereo Bluetooth 2.0
technology.

"The device is being offered at a price point of just Rs 5,499 and comes
with lifetime free Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Messenger services", Sunil
Tandon, regional head, Tata Docomo said.

OneTouch Net will also provide access to services such as My Song, Call
Me Tunes, Buddy Chat, My Talkies, Astro Portal, Funzone, Song Book etc.
through customised keys on the handset.
_____