[governance] International Internet Treaty proposed by Europe

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 08:53:32 EDT 2010

Dear Bill Drake,

Why don't we make this real? What if CoE actually elevates it to the status
of a draft document, and works its way around to make this a 'draft treaty'?
If that happens, it would be good work, very, very good work and good
governance: Governments taking initiatives to protect the Internet from
Governments.

To quote from the artiile, "The draft international law has been compared to
the 1967 Outer Space Treaty, which sought to prevent space exploration being
pursued for anything less than the benefit of all human kind. The Internet
Treaty would similarly seek to preserve the Internet as a global system of
free communication that transcends national borders"

If the Council of Europe, together with other like minded European
organizations works on a document similar to the Outer Space Treaty, it
would be giant step towards good governance.

Sivasubramanian M