[governance] IMPORTANT: Call for volunteers for NomCom

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Sep 17 07:39:26 EDT 2010

I have heard that the CSTD will be likely to make use of any nominations that we might make for civil society participants in its multi-stakeholder working group on improvements to the IGF.  This being so, we will need to start the process of nominate members for that group.

We also have to begin the process of nominating members for the new MAG.  The deadline, particularly for the CSTD, is very tight: the working group is to be established by the end of next month.  So we have to start the ball rolling now.

The IGC makes such nominations using a randomly-selected nominating committee (NomCom).  Our charter requires that "Whenever possible a call for volunteers for a nominating committee (nomcom) will be posted 2 months before the scheduled selection" - in this case, it is not possible, due to lack of time.

Thus, I am calling for nominations to serve on the NomCom now, and propose to make a call for nominations for the CSTD working group and MAG, as soon as we have the requisite 25 nominations for the NomCom.

I would also like to suggest that the same NomCom should select nominees both for the CSTD working group and for the MAG.  Please note that the Charter does not strictly allow for this.  So, if anybody objects, we will follow the letter of the Charter and appoint two NomComs.

Note that if you nominate yourself for the NomCom, you have (statistically) only a one in five chance of actually being selected to serve on that committee.

Please send your self-nominations to the list, or (in order to reduce unwanted list traffic), to myself and Ginger.  Thank you!

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.