R: [governance] Nobel Prize for The Internet

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Sep 16 23:55:27 EDT 2010

My 2 cents - since this was brought up and my sister is one of the ~2000 IPCC scientists/co-winners.

In the family we brag and say she s a co-winner of the Nobel.

Others not so charitable - or dubious on climate - are rather dismissive of the significance of Diane having won 1/4000th of a Nobel.

So for Internet - prize goes to...Kahn/Cerf for tcp/ip? Kleinrock because he took darpa $ and got machines talking to each other...or Taylor for setting up the darpa program...or Ruina for leading darpa..and staying out of way of Licklider etc way...or the next couple hundred key contributors....all of which would leave out sir berners-lee and the web...or instead all of us early or late users win 1/2billionth of a nobel?

So I'm not sure what 'the Internet' winning would mean. And if it meant something specific, in case of Internet it would likely just lead to arguments about whether that one thing is really a main thing.

Now, a new nobel prize category, for Internet, that could be more interesting and meaningful, since Internet is not a one-off thing, and we already have a backlog of a variety of deserving winners....who can squabble and lobby and scheme just like everyone else in other categories 'shocked, shocked' - that their lobbying paid off and they won.

Lee

PS: Re those lecturers and early Internet contributors who insist that the connection between LOTs of US DOD $ funding research on packet networks....for decades and decades before things got to commercial scale...and the building of a net capable of surviving nuclear war was just a 'myth' or coincidence: Yeah right. US government does that kind of long-range planning routinely. Sure whatever. Pay no attention to what the (D) in DARPA stands for.

Absolutely values and ethos and contributions from civil society and from 60s counter-culture can be seen from beginning - in a net coincidentally designed by the advanced projects arm of the department of d. which enlisted thousands of 'civil society' types very early on, around world. And told them to keep their head down and figure better how to pass packets. Beginning in earnest roughly...around the time of the Cuban missile crisis. But pay no attention, that is just another coincidence and whole thing has always been about peaceful passing of packets honest. Give that packet a prize.