[governance] More multilingual IGF?

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Sep 16 16:40:13 EDT 2010

At 14:41 16/09/2010, Izumi AIZU wrote:
>In the workshop this morning on Innovative Internet Governance Ideas
>and Approaches, I came to an idea and spoke it -
>
>Why don't we try to make some of the IGF sessions for the next round
>more "multi-lingual"?
>
>This may increase the sense of ownership for many non-English speaking
>people and also create more level playing field. Real main session can still
>remain in English, and also working language as well.
>
>Just a suggestion.

Dear Izumi,

I also call your attention on two points :

- each language and its associated culture  better helps some forms
of reasoning. The most typical case is Aymara [Inca language] which
supports a trivalent logic (and other ways to consider evidence and
time). But this is true of English (induction) or French
(metaduction). This is important in diktyology (science of networks)
as it influences multicultural consensus formation and introduces
more easily the necessary multi-consensus concept, principles and
processes (consensus over a cross-understanding and
cross-interoperability of different sub-consensuses).

- more an more we will be confronted to mecalanguages, i.e. your own
natural language as spoken/understood by machines. This will most
probably have an impact on languages, cultures, and international
relations comparable to the introduction of dictionaries five centuries ago.

For these two reasons, a first hand experience of network related
issues in a multilingual environment can only help understanding the
multilingual related issues of the governance. Please note that
"multilingualisation" (each language being treated equal to others)
is a very different issue with many practical/operational details
differing from "internationalization" which actually is speaking an
Internationalized English in different "localized" dialects.
Multilingualization allows different forms of reasoning to coexist,
by nature internationalization does not.

jfc

I copy the MAAYA mailing list which should be a strong ally to
consider multilingualising the IGF.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org