[governance] Minutes of IGC meeting

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Sep 14 08:48:09 EDT 2010

Here are draft minutes of yesterday's meeting of the Internet Governance Caucus.

Date: 13 September 2010
Place: LITEXPO room 3, Vilnius, Lithuania
Chairs: Ginger Paque and Jeremy Malcolm

1. Review of activities since last IGF meeting

Since our last general meeting at the IGF we have:

* Put out a consensus statement on taking stock of the Sharm el Sheikh meeting, which was focussed on reforms to the IGF.
* Put out another statement with suggested session themes for the Vilnius meeting.
* Written an open letter to the UN Secretary General about plans to reduce the role of the CSTD in the IGF review.
* Participated in the February open consultation and the May planning meeting.
* Put forward three workshop proposals for the Vilniue meeting, all of which were successful.
* Our coordinators were accepted as speakers for the opening and closing session in Vilnius.

2. Opening and closing statements

Ginger is taking the opening statement and will look at civil society's role in the enhanced cooperation process.  Jeremy will take up the issues that Ginger doesn't cover, and maybe reiterate some that she did, in the closing statement.  We are going to try to cover all of the issues that were floated in the poll, but giving the most attention to those that received the most support from IGC members.

Parminder expressed concern that not many people had given input (other than via the poll) into the content of the statements.  Bill Drake (with whom Parminder agreed) said we should talk about an development agenda for IG, mentioning the possibility of intersessional work.

There was also discussion of the success, or otherwise, of dynamic coalitions which some consider are too "fluffy", don't draw participation from governments, and overall haven't worked well.  Jeremy indicated that he would mention the need to revisit the concept and perhaps develop them into a "version 2".  Bill suggested this could be phrased as stating that thematic working groups are "one of the ideas on the table".

3. IGC co-coordinator elections

According to our charter, the co-coordinator elections are due to be held around now.  Ginger's position is up for renewal, we are seeking expressions of interest now.  All present were encouraged to nominate themselves or other people for the job.  Izumi and Parminder said that they would consider nominating.

There was discussion of the format of the voting, and it was decided that we would use our own software from now on, and have no further need for the software hosted at Syracuse University.

Jeremy agreed to set a date for elections about one week after the IGF ends.

4. IGC voting procedures

Further to the last agenda item, there was discussion of previous problems with voting fraud, such as people who are registered under multiple emails, and an anomaly with multiple votes being recorded from the same IP address.

Parminder expressed the view that this was a serious matter.  Jeremy and Ginger indicated that, whilst our charter limits us from eliminating the potential for fraud altogether, special attention will be given to the issue of voting fraud this time around.

5. IGC charter review

There was little interest expressed in reviewing the IGC charter.  On this basis, this agenda item will be removed for the time being until further interest emerges.

6. MAG questionnaire

Jeremy indicated that he would present a draft statement based around the discussion of the MAG questionnaire on the list, within the next few weeks.

7. CSTD IGF review

It was reported that the CSTD is to form a working group to suggest improvements to the IGF, and there will be a planning meeting for this on Thursday at 6:30pm.  Parminder informed us that the working group should be operational after the UN Assembly says yes to the mandate renewal next month.  Some members have already started an informal consultation, but others are against the idea.  He will report any further developments.

8. General business

There was no other business calling for report.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.