[governance] Re: Patent Office Admits Truth; Things Are a Disaster

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 17:28:05 EDT 2010

>>From: Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>
>>Based on the premise that the patent system is basically a good
>>thing, the long delay in getting a patent would be a big flaw.
>>
>>However, in the software field, what we need is to be safe from patent
>>threats.  Faster granting of patents wouldn't cut it.

This is one major reason why government isn't always "efficient".  One
only wishes efficiency when the underlying goal is agreed to.  If we
don't agree with the goal, or if the goal is itself illegal or a
violation of public policy, then of course efficiency is not only not
desirable, it is a positively bad thing.  (Truman: "If you want
efficiency,  you'll get a dictatorship.")

Paul Lehto, J.D.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org