[governance] Re: What is RPKI and why should you care about it?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 13 10:36:47 EDT 2010

On Sep 13, 2010, at 11:42 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> It seems you did not read the IGP paper which pointed (and rightly so)
> that the deployment of the RPKI is done without any public
> specification or policy for these very organisations. The IETF did not
> produce one RFC yet <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sidr/> and the RIR did
> not produce any formal policy (only proposals like RIPE 2008-04
> <http://www.ripe.net/ripe/policies/proposals/2008-04.html>).

To add some clarity here:

 - The SIDR group has produced numerous Internet Drafts, and these
   have all been available for public review and comment

 - RPKI is an *optional* certification service which RIRs and
   others are working to make available to those ISPs that wish
   to use it

 - It provides the same type of data as today's WHOIS and the various
   routing registries, only with a higher degree of credibility

 - RPKI deployment occurs when ISPs decide to certify their routes
   with it, or to use it to evaluate routes received by other ISPs

 - ISPs are free to make use of RPKI information or ignore such,
   as they see fit.

There are hundreds of Internet Drafts at any moment in the IETF,
and many of the protocols specified have the significant ability
to be used to further or curtail public policy objectives. This
is to be expected, since they specify protocols that are used to
build tools that service providers then use to build services.

The paper's thesis appears to be that "critical
and
wide‐ranging

dialogue
about
 the
 governance
implications" should occur when new
tools are deployed, and if that's the case, then now is indeed the
time for those interested to seek out ISPs who intend to use this
technology and engage in the desired critical dialogue.  I would
not expect the ISP community to proactively pursue such dialogue
for RPKI any more than they sought it when deploying other new
technologies such as route reflectors, routing registries, SNMPv2,
BGP-4, RVSP, MPLS, or any of the other technologies used to build
and maintain networks.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO