AW: [governance] Global Relationships Committee Charter

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Mon Sep 13 10:17:17 EDT 2010

Dear Wolfgang, Bill and all

Very intersting this "thematic debate" about the ITU. Bill pointed at some of the good reasons for explaining (not excusing) the Unions's attitude towards ICANN. One of the main reasons resides in the Convention which rules this intergovernmental body, and which can only be changed by its memberstates in the framework of the Plenipotentiary Plenary. Its non-governmental members (the so-called Sector members) are not eligible for modifying the ITU Convention and can only be part of an advisory body (e.g. TDAG), together whith governmental represntatives, that can propose modifications to the Convention submitted to the members states for approval.

But the other main issue ITU is facing is the financial crisis which led to the lay-off of 20% of its staff during WSIS phase 1 (BTW : where was the WSIS-CS during the protest meeting held by the ITU people during PrepCom 3 near the CICG? I was there to show my solidarity). The primary cause of this crisis is the "telecoms sector" deregulation and the consequent weakened role of the member states, which in its turn led to lowering or limiting the member fees (more than 80% of the ITU budget). I'd just draw your attention to the fact that sector members pay only one sixth of the member state basic fees.

ITU is therefore in a very critical situation and I guess that this explains that, i.e. its attitude towards ICANN. Conversely, why is ICANN outside of ITU whereas other bodies such as R&D, IDATE, GSMA, etc are inside ... and are paying for that ?

Whatever could be argued about the ITU (and CSDPTT is very critical about its neoliberal zeal, course and activities) it has an important role to play in the Internet domain and, in my humble opinion, this includes some governance aspects. Therefore a cooperative way is to be preferred to a conflictual one. This way would be very effective when ITU and ICANN act jointly and consistently. A renewed ICANN ("ICANN 2G") could be this future ITU partner for promoting an Internet governance that people in ICs and DCs are waiting for.

Best regards
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT