[governance] Invitation => IG4D

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Sun Sep 12 05:03:52 EDT 2010

Hello Tijani,

On Sep 12, 2010, at 1:38 AM, Tijani BEN JEMAA wrote:

>                         Workshop #:    61
>                         Theme:           New gTLDs and IDNs for Development
>                         Date:                           Tuesday 14 September 2010
>                         Time slot:        09:00 - 11:00
>                         Venue:                        Room 3

This looks very interesting, I wish it didn't overlap with the Setting the Scene session I have to attend (we'll be talking about some of the background papers included in the Sharm book, which are mostly by IGC members).  I also wish it had popped up on the radars of the planning group for the IG4D main session; don't know how we missed it, very sorry.  But while you're not listed as a "feeder workshop" for that session, it would be great if you could anyway provide an input on its main conclusions etc.

BTW, the relationships between new gTLDs, IDNs and development will also be an element of a more broadly framed workshop, the fourth I've organized on the notion of a development agenda, description below.  It'd be good if we could pursue some synergies between the two, as well as with other IG4D-related events, e.g. the main session, George Sadowsky's workshop WS 174 (which precedes mine in the same room), etc.  Development is much more prominent on this year's agenda than in previous IGFs, but it would take some initiative to build on that going forward.

Best,

Bill
———————

Workshop 165, Day 2, Wednesday, 15 September, 16:30-18:30, Room 3

A Development Agenda Approach to Internet Names and Numbers

A development agenda can be defined as a holistic program of analysis and action intended to mainstream development considerations into the procedures and policy outputs of global governance mechanisms. While there have been concerted efforts to pursue such agendas in the multilateral institutions dealing with issues like international trade and intellectual property, there has been no corresponding initiative with respect to global Internet governance. Hence, a series of interrelated workshops has been organized at the Rio, Hyderabad and Sharm el Sheikh IGF meetings to help foster dialogue on the possible establishment of such an initiative.  Over the course of these events, participants have considered the potential value-added of a development agenda; fleshed out its broad institutional and substantive contours; identified some particularly important linkages between internet governance and development that merit further consideration; and in light of the WSIS principles, agreed that the IGF is the most appropriate venue in which to devise an approach to mainstreaming development within Internet governance institutions, as applicable.  Building on these foundations, the next step in the process should be to test the general model in a specific issue-area and institutional context in order to identify possible refinements.

Accordingly, the proposed Vilnius workshop would apply the development agenda approach to the field of Internet names and numbers, with particular attention being devoted to the ICANN nexus.   In addition to advancing IG4D efforts within the IGF, the workshop also could provide food for thought to the growing dialogue within ICANN on how to better address development concerns.  The three main elements of a development agenda to be considered would include: a) capacity building partnerships to enable the effective participation of governmental and nongovernmental actors in technical dialogues and decision making processes; b) institutional measures---e.g. with respect to information overload, working methods and culture, and possibly development-oriented focal points---that could facilitate increased engagement; and c) identification of the substantive policy issues that may raise distinctive developmental considerations and to which a developmental orientation could usefully be brought to bear.

Speakers

William J. Drake  [moderator]
Senior Associate, Centre for International Governance, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva, Switzerland

Olga Cavalli
Adviser for Technology, Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Government of Argentina

Rafik Dammak
Research Student in Interdisciplinary Information Studies, the University of Tokyo; Tunisia

Zahid Jamil
Senior Partner, Jamil & Jamil, Barrister-at-Law; and Chairman, Domain Name Dispute Resolution Center; Pakistan

Alice Munyua
Convenor, East African IGF and Kenya ICT Action Network,
Communications Commission, Government of Kenya

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies; XS4All Chair, University of Delft; Partner, the Internet Governance Project; USA

Mike Silber
General Manager: Regulatory, Neotel; Management Committee member, South African Internet Service Providers' Association; Member of the Board of Directors, ICANN; South Africa

Jean-Jacques Subrenat
Member of the Board of Directors, ICANN; France

Institutional Co-Sponsors

Centre for International Governance, Graduate Institute for International Studies [lead; academic]

Association for Progressive Communications [civil society]

Government of Argentina (TBC) [government]

Institute for Internet Policy & Law, Beijing Normal University [academic]

Council of Europe [international organization]

Faculty of Social Sciences, the University of Buenos Aires [academic]

Federal Office of Communication, Government of Switzerland [government]