[governance] ICANN Nominating Committee selection results

Meryem Marzouki meryem at marzouki.info
Thu Sep 9 15:57:54 EDT 2010

Le 9 sept. 10 à 20:24, Norbert Klein a écrit :

> On 09/10/2010 12:42 AM, Qusai AlShatti wrote:
>>
>> happy to see  Cherine Chalaby from Egypt to be the first from the
>> Arab
>> World as an ICANN Board Member wishing her all the succcess in her
>> new
>> position.
>
> Not her - him,
>
> :-)
>
> Also in Cambodia, we do not know the gender from the name...

In Arabic, we normally do. I would also have said Cherine was a she.
In Arab (and Farsi as well: Shirin Ebadi, Iranian Nobel Peace prize
2003, who was CS representative at WSIS opening ceremony in 2005 in
Tunis), Cherine, Sherine, Chirine,  Cyrine, Syrine, Shirin and all
other variations. are women names, including in Egypt.
But if Cherine Chalaby is a man, then so be it.. this wont help
gender balance at ICANN;)

     governance at lists.cpsr.org