[governance] Remote participation for IGF 2010: individuals and groups

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 13:48:10 EDT 2010

Dear Ginger

If it is not too late and too difficult for the IGF Secretariat to set it
up, I would suggest a "Remote Participation Lobby" or better still a "Remote
Home", for all remote participants to connect and stay connected to one
another, irrespective of the sessions they attend.

The idea of a Remote Participation Lobby is an online space for participants
to temporarily log in, to come in and stay for a short time, to meet other
remote participants in that space and interact.

Remote Home would be a space where there would be some permanent profile
info about remote participants, where participants can chat while logged in
and  leave messages for those who are offline.

I am in the process of organizing a Remote Participation hub at Chennai
where the participants are predominantly students, who would learn more
about IGF if they connect to Youth participants from Diplo and other
institutions. In general all participants physically present or
otherwise can connect to one another for informal exchange of ideas (as in a
chat window during an online meeting) in addition to the formal exchange
during workshops. Such informal exchanges could be even more productive than
formal exchanges during workshops (more business transactions take place in
coffee shops than in Board rooms)

Can there be such a space which could remain open during the IGF and if
possible beyond?

Sivasubramanian M

Sivasubramanian M
http://turiya.co.in