[governance] Invitation to participate now and/or in Vilnius

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 13:49:57 EDT 2010

Dear Wolfgang,

I will be taking your questions for brainstorming and discussion stimulation
in the IGC Workshop No. 54:

*No. 54. Innovative Internet Governance Ideas and Approaches - An Open
Discussion Space *
*When: Thursday, 16 September at 9:00 - 11:00 in Room 6*
*
*
*(I*GF Theme: Development) where you will be allowed to freely share your
ideas and opinions about Internet Governance that can possibly help change
the world we live in today. Link to the workshop information page:
**
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/index.php/component/chronocontact/?chronoformname=WSProposals2010View&wspid=54

*Workshop Description:*
A workshop that provides stakeholders the opportunity to share positive
ideas for stimulating socio-economic change in the developing world
utilizing the Internet. This will be a venue for both developed and
developing world participants. An example may be the ideas presented by Tim
Berners-Lee at TED for Opening Data to the world that helped in providing
concrete relief information on the ground during the Haiti earthquake
crisis. Another idea may be Google's mapping of the Sudan crisis.

*With the participation of all stakeholders*, including youth, the workshop
will record the many positive ideas that evolve from this venue, measure the
changes that they have enabled over time, and at the next IGF meeting
identify which ideas had the greatest impact over the past 12 months since
presented.

*A round table open to all participants of the workshop.* The format will be
5 minutes given to each of the participants to share an existing or
revolutionary idea. The Internet governance dimensions of each idea will
also be explored. All the ideas will be recorded and categorized under
various topics for measurement of impact over the following year.

*There will be no formal panellists.* All participants will be given 3-5
minutes to share an idea. The moderator will be Fouad Bajwa. Participants
are listed on the wiki at
http://wiki.igf-online.net/wiki/Open_space_for_Internet_governance_ideas.
This workshop was formerly titled "Revolutionary Internet Governance Ideas
that can help change the Developing World". * Kindly let me know if you are
participating so that we can arrange a list of participants before hand for
record taking! If members from your organization or friends are
participating, kindly inform them as well!

*Organization:* Internet Governance Caucus
*Contact Person:* Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com

2010/9/5 "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>

> Janna
>
> here are the questions I forwarded to the IGFSecrteariat
>

> I: Future of the IGF:
>
> 1. When the IGF gets an extended mandate until 2015, what are the main
> three issues which should be improved?
> 2. Would it make sense when the the conclusions of the chair/rapporteur of
> each the workshops and plenaries are summarized in two or three (short)
> messages (no longer than three lines per message) and published in one
> document as "IGF Messages from Vilnjus" (N.N. etc.) as alternastive to a
> negotiated text in form of a "declaration" or recommendations?
> 3. Do you have any proposal how the national and regional IGFs could and
> should be linked together in an informal network?
> 4. Should the IGF start to manage a database which could include, inter
> alia, international treaties and national legislation relevant for Internet
> Governance or best national practices?
>
> II: Future of Internet Governance:
> 1. Is there a need for an "internal multistakeholder Internet Governance
> mechanisms" within social networks when they are used by millions users?
> 2. How multistakeholder input, transparency and accountability can be
> strengthened in intergovernmental organisations dealing with Internet
> related issues (UN, UNESCO, WTO, WIPO, ITU, European Union, OECD, Council of
> Europe etc.)
> 3. Is there a risk for a fragmentation of the Internet either along
> language barriers (via iDNs) or via different infrastructure regulations
> (wired Internet vs. wirless Internet)?
> 4. If national security becomes a key point in Internet Governance, how the
> principle of "national sovereignty" can be executed in a borderless
> cyberspace?
>
> Wolfgang

Regards.
Fouad Bajwa