AW: AW: [governance] New CSTD consultation on WSIS follow-up

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Fri Oct 29 10:29:59 EDT 2010

Dear Wolfgang.. thanks for raising this.. when I wrote that message I
was actually going to include the CS 2003 declaration URL.. but I was so
busy that I did not.

It is a very strong document.  I looked at it recently, and it contains
many issues which have not been focused on in WSIS follow up, but which
are important and relevant for internet governance and public policy,
such as copyright, the public domain, global citizenship, and more.

Even the title is an important reminder: "Shaping information societies
for human needs".

I support Wolfgang's suggestion that we work toward a new declaration.

We hope to use a new Global Information Society Watch interactive
webspace (which will be launched in 2011) to ask civil society to
reflect on what has been achieved (or not) in terms of the 2003
declaration we developed.

The Tunis phase civil society declaration is at
http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs2/tunis/contributions/co13.doc

  Its title is "Much more could have been achieved" :) As a matter of
interest, I paste below what it says about internet governance....

Anriette

    Internet Governance

Civil Society is pleased with the decision to create an Internet
Governance Forum (IGF), which it has advocated for since 2003. We also
are pleased that the IGF will have sufficient scope to deal with the
issues we believe must be addressed, most notably the conformity of
existing arrangements with the Geneva Principles, and other
cross-cutting or multidimensional issues that cannot be optimally dealt
with within current arrangements. However, we reiterate our concerns
that the Forum must not be anchored in any existing specialized
international organization, meaning that its legal form, finances, and
professional staff should be independent. In addition, we reiterate our
view that the forum should be more than a place for dialogue. As was
recommended by the WGIG Report, it should also provide expert analysis,
trend monitoring, and capacity building, including in close
collaboration with external partners in the research community.

We are concerned about the absence of details on how this forum will be
created and on how it will be funded. We insist that the modalities of
the IGF be determined in full cooperation with Civil Society. We
emphasize that success in the forum, as in most areas of Internet
governance, will be impossible without the full participation of Civil
Society. By full participation we mean much more than playing a mere
advisory role. Civil Society must be able to participate fully and
equally both in plenary and any working or drafting group discussions,
and must have the same opportunities as other stakeholders to influence
agendas and outcomes.

The Tunis Agenda addressed the issue of political oversight of critical
Internet resources in its paragraphs 69 to 71. This, in itself, is an
achievement. It is also important that governments recognized the need
for the development of a set of Internet-related public policy
principles that would frame political oversight of Internet resources.
These principles must respect, protect and promote human rights as laid
down in international human rights treaties, ensure equitable access to
information and online opportunities for all, and promote development.

It is important that governments have established that developing these
principles should be a shared responsibility. However, it is very
unfortunate that the Tunis Agenda suggests that governments are only
willing to share this role and responsibility among themselves, in
cooperation with international organisations. Civil Society remains
strongly of the view that the formulation of appropriate and legitimate
public policies pertaining to Internet governance requires the full and
meaningful involvement of non-governmental stakeholders.

With regard to paragraph 40 of the Tunis Agenda, we are disappointed
that there is no mention that efforts to combat cyber-crime need to be
exercised in the context of checks and balances provided by fundamental
human rights, particularly freedom of expression and privacy.

With regard to paragraph 63, we believe that a country code Top Level
Domain (ccTLD) is a public good both for people of the concerned country
or economy and for global citizens who have various linkages to
particular countries. While we recognize the important role of
governments in protecting the ccTLDs that refer to their countries or
economies, this role must be executed in a manner that respects human
rights as expressed in existing international treaties through a
democratic, transparent and inclusive process with full involvement of
all stakeholders.

To ensure that development of the Internet and its governance takes
place in the public interest, it is important for all stakeholders to
better understand how core Internet governance functions -- as for
example, DNS management, IP address allocation, and others -- are
carried out. It is equally important that these same actors understand
the linkages between broader Internet governance and Internet related
matters such as cyber-crime, Intellectual Property Rights, e-commerce,
e-government, human rights and capacity building and economic
development. The responsibility of creating such awareness should be
shared by everyone, including those at present involved in the
governance and development of the Internet and emerging information and
communication platforms. Equally it is essential that as this awareness
develops in newer users of the Internet, older users must be open to the
new perspectives that will emerge.