[governance] CSTD nominations ** APC endorsements

Valeria Betancourt valeriab at apc.org
Tue Oct 26 13:14:32 EDT 2010

Hi all,

The APC policy team was very pleased to see such an extensive and
qualified list of nominations for the CSTD working group. We are
confident that from this list of people we will be able to choose
excellent CS representatives and believe that the scope and depth of
experience on this list is a reflection of all of the good work we
have done in the IG space over the last 10 years.

However, given the fact that choices must be made, the APC policy team
created a list of individuals we would like to endorse. These
nominations in no way imply that we believe that the invidviduals we
do not endorse are anything less than excellent candidates. Regardless
of outcome, we look forward to working with the members of the
committee.

The APC policy team would like to endorse the nominations of the
following people:

Anriette Esterhuysen, APC Executive Director:
Anriette has been APC's representative in the CSTD since it started
dealing with WSIS follow-up in 2007. She has been one of the two or
three civil society people that has worked hard in this space where
non-governmental stakeholders have a precarious position in that they
can speak in the open sessions, but only observe (with a few
exceptions) during negotiation of resolutions to ECOSOC. Anriette
strongly supports the IGF but has consistently proposed improvements.
Being from Africa, means she has a useful understanding of how
developing country stakeholders, particularly from Africa, experience
the IGF. Anriette has never been nominated for or served on the MAG.

Parminder Jeet Singh, IT for Change:
Similar to Anriette, Parminder has been active in the CSTD and we
think familiarity and experience with CSTD processes are important
criteria when selecting candidates for this working group.

Julian Casasbuenas, Colnodo:
Julian has been active in all the LAC IGFs and in the global IGF. He
is an active member of ISOC and will bring both civil society and
technical community perspectives to the working group.

Shahzad Ahmad, Bytes for All:
Shahzad is very active in internet rights campaigns and would bring
both an Asian and a human rights perspective. He has been involved in
all the IGFs to date.

Marilia Maciel, Center for Technology and Society, Getulio Vargas
Foundation:
Marilia would bring a solid understanding of remote participation and
has also expressed a desire to be more involved in IG spaces via her
nomination for IGC coordinator. She will bring a regional perspective,
and through her association with Diplo, she has a really good
understanding of the capacity building opportunities, and challenges,
in the IGF process.

Bill Drake:
Bill has been a pioneer of inclusive IG processes with a long history
of constructive support and criticism. He is based in Geneva which
could be very important as it is not certain that there will be
funding for working group members to travel to all the meetings. His
commitment to the development agenda in the IGF is very important.
Developing country participation is something that IGF improvements
has to address seriously.

Michael Gurstein:
Michael is a very active CS member and brings a community informatics
perspective to the IGF.

Divina Frau-Meigs:
Divina is a WSIS veteran with a solid understanding of the information
society policy issues. She also brings the important perspectives
someone concerned with of education, cultural and linguistic
diversity. Her understanding of UNESCO will also be useful to the
working group.

Katitza Rodriguez, Electronic Frontier Foundation:
Originally from Peru, Katitza is EFF's International Rights Director.
Her knowledge on cybersecurity at the intersection of privacy, freedom
of expression, and copyright enforcement would bring an important
integral perspective to the working group.

Best,

Valeria Betancourt

Valeria Betancourt
Directora / Manager
Programa de Políticas de Information y Comunicación / Communication
and Information Policy Programme
Asociación para el Progreso de las Comunicaciones / Association for
Progressive Communications, APC
http://www.apc.org