[governance] IGC & IGF

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Oct 26 00:02:54 EDT 2010

On 25/10/2010, at 6:27 PM, William Drake wrote:

> With the GA discussion approaching etc, shouldn't the IGC express support for the one part of the UN that's actively promoted its engagement in IG discussions?  This seems more immediately pressing to me than trying to visualize a whole new global institutional topography for EC, which one would expect to require a lot of time and dialogue...

Yes and no, in my opinion.  We already have several submissions expressing support for the continuation of the IGF, which have fed into the GA's deliberation.  But now that EC is finally back on the table, I don't think we want it to let it slip away again.  Even more so than the IGF, if properly realised it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to cement civil society's place in global governance for the Internet regime.

I like your idea about an IGF-based multistakeholder observatory committee.  But do others on this list have other ideas about what EC should be?  It is just not concrete enough at the moment, and I think one positive thing that the IGC can contribute is to put forward some specific ideas.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.