[governance] Guidance sought on CSTD nominations and involvement of technical community

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Oct 23 16:10:33 EDT 2010

As outlined in another email the Nomcom for selecting IGC representatives to
the CSTD has now been formed, and needs to complete its work within a week.

There is one issue on which we seek urgent guidance from the list and its
members and readers.

The brief we were given by the co coordinators includes the following - "we
have been told informally that we should nominate about ten members in all,
at least three of whom must be members of the Internet technical community,
because the technical community will not have its own stakeholders on the
committee.  Likewise, the private sector will be doing the same".

This is of course an unusual request and a somewhat uncomfortable one. It is
difficult - and I believe impractical - for IGC to make judgements on the
suitability of candidates from another stakeholder group, and I am not sure
it is in our best interest to do so, despite the request. However, if we do
not do so and the result of that is that the technical community is locked
out of these talks, that also is not a good outcome.

So I am seeking wisdom on how to approach this. Some options would be

Write to ISOC and ask them to nominate three representatives which we
forward on their behalf

Ask readers of this list who are suitable to add themselves to the current
list of candidates to be considered by the nomcom and come up with a list
based on our nominations and processes

Inform CSTD that it is inappropriate for us to nominate technical community
reps

Or perhaps some combination of the above?

As a Nomcom we are interested in guidance on this issue. By all means post
on list, but if you would prefer email me privately and I will ensure the
other nomcom members get the information.

Because this is a difficult and unusual request, and because it involves
other stakeholder groups and indeed aspects of the model of enhanced
co-operation, we would welcome input as to how the IGC nomcom should best
approach this.

Ian Peter (on behalf on nomcom)

     governance at lists.cpsr.org