[governance] ITU in Guadalajara

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 14:12:40 EDT 2010

*Dear Wolfgang,*
*
*I read that one of the resolutions pertinent to ITU's role in WSIS
is RESOLUTION 140 (Antalya, 2006) ITUʼs role in implementing the outcomes of
the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) [a revision of Antalya,
2006?]*
*
*
*In the context of this resolution "**Several Contributions to PP ʼ10 seek
to alter and in some cases expand the role of the ITU, particularly in the
field of Internet governance. In addition, one Member State advocated that
the ITU should organize a third WSIS to be held in 2015."  *[This was an
observation at the end of Week 2, but there might not have been changes in
contributions to that effect during Week 3.]
*
*
*In an ISOC communication, I read that these are ISOC's views: *
*
*
*"It is also important to remember that the WSIS was not an ITU Conference;
the **UN General Assembly authorized it, as we were reminded by the
delegation of **Egypt in the Working Group of Plenary. That is an important
fact to keep in mind **at PP ʼ10. For example, the ITU has not got the
authority to change the **decisions of the WSIS by instructing the IGF on
how it should work, or by **advocating a role for the ITU that is not
consistent with the Tunis Agenda action **lines.*
*
*
*We believe it is important for the ITU to play a key role in implementing
the*
*outcomes of WSIS. But in doing so, we also believe it is important to
respect and **take advantage of the multistakeholder processes that were
proven to be*
*valuable in the WSIS -- Internet Society"*
*
*
I recall that you (Wolfgang Kleinwaechter) first raised the though that
there should be a review of WSIS just as we have a review of the IGF. The
views quoted above clearly indicate that there is a need for clarity on how
the WSIS should be organized and for clarity in the role of stakeholders in
ORGANIZING WSIS.

Sivasubramanian M
India.

*