[governance] WSIS Forum 2011, 16 to 20 May Geneva

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Oct 19 05:47:34 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 19 October 2010 03:01 PM, William Drake wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Oct 19, 2010, at 9:02 AM, parminder wrote:
>
>> It is significant that the WSIS forum will not be shifted to New York
>> as was mooted. Could have implications for negotiations around
>> improvement/ changes to the IGF, likely to take place in a few days
>> at th UN Gen Assembly. This has further reduced the chances of the
>> IGF secretariat shifting to New York, as is feared by some. Parminder
>
> I'm pretty surprised by this shift, as there have been statements at
> the Plenipot in Guadalajara by governments with presumably good access
> to the ITU secretariat that referred to the forum being held in New
> York.  One has to wonder about the coordination and who is really in
> which loop, but as it's all non-transparent wondering is all we can
> do.  Would be interesting to know though if the concerns expressed by
> non-state actors actually had some impact.
>
> How this may relate to the IGF issue is also hard to judge, but it
> doesn't hurt.

One of the suggestion was to roll IGF up into the general WSIS forum,
which would still be very bad even if WSIS forum stays in Geneva, but if
WSIS forum had moved to  NY, the pulls for IGF sect. to move to NY would
have been stronger.

In any case, the more important things that this decision to retain WSIS
forum in Geneva (more so in light of Bil's email about what he heard at
the ITU meeting) points to are

(1) In the UN system it is difficult to change status quos. It requires
a very high level of consensus to do so, and in the case of the more
problematic changes to the IGF that we often fear and discuss such a
level consensus is simply not there

(2) Developed countries are still very powerful players. Things are very
unlikely to move around if they dont like them to move around.

Parminder