[governance] On the issue of community - Then what would be an Internet Governance Community?

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 16:00:27 EDT 2010

I have long participated within the Free & Open Source Software
Community, something we formed with like minded people from all over
the world in an effort to unite the divided forces of Free Software
and Open Source Software philosophy flame wars. The word caught on,
the concept of FOSS and/or FLOSS and/or Free Libre evolved. Within a
separate context of claiming to be and being recognised as a
community, the Internet community and the Internet Governance
community have crossed our eyes or ears a lot. The following article
explores the issue of community in the context of using the term open
source community and discusses very interesting issues that are worth
the read and maybe we can then also explore Internet Governance
Community and Multistakeholderism in the light of this?

Here is the article:
What open source community?
http://opensource.com/government/10/10/what-open-source-community

Also before reading the above article, an earlier article also touches
on a related question in the context of the statement we developed
where there was significant discussion of the role of IGC and CS:

Is the word "community" losing its meaning?
http://opensource.com/business/10/4/word-community-losing-its-meaning

I would like to hear your thoughts in terms of Internet Governance Community.

--
Regards.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org