[governance] Draft letter to Under-Secretary-General Sha for

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Oct 18 00:34:25 EDT 2010

On Sunday 17 October 2010 09:32 PM, Jean-Louis FULLSACK wrote:

> Dear Bill and all
>
> Exerpt from the NYT article
> <But China has been a minefield for American technology companies,
> including Microsoft, Yahoo
> <http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/yahoo_inc/index.html?inline=nyt-org>
> and Google
> <http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/google_inc/index.html?inline=nyt-org>,
> which have grappled with the country’s Internet censorship, and it
> appears that Microsoft is hoping to avoid new controversies there. >
>
> Why did the NYT miss Cisco in its quotation ? They "adapted" their
> network equipment to meet China's particular "democratic routing
> criteria".
> I do hope that it was just an oversight, nothing to do with some
> advertising revenues risks ...

Apart from the stated issues, and their merit, also try reading the
article that Bill posted (
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/world/17russia.html?hpw ) in light of
the following piece on the geo-politics of digital activism. I greatly
recommend this article to everyone, one of the best takes I have come
across on this issue.

The Internet Freedom Fallacy and the Arab Digital Activism, by Sami Ben
Gharbia

http://samibengharbia.com/2010/09/17/the-internet-freedom-fallacy-and-the-arab-digital-activism/

The eco-political juggernaut being created by the North/ West is a issue
that needs much more critical analysis than it often gets, even from the
civil society actors in Internet/ IG area who come from the
geo-political South.

Parminder