[governance] ITU vs. ICANN

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sat Oct 16 00:01:55 EDT 2010

On 10/15/2010 08:20 PM, Jacqueline Morris wrote:
> The INTERIM-ALAC  might have taken a long time to get going to form the
> RALOs, but since they have formed, there is definitely interest and
> activity. So to be fair, you really need to separate the pre-RALO and
> post-RALO At-Larges.

There really is no great divide in pre-RALO and post.  The simple fact
is that it has been possible to start those for 7 years.

But what we have is a structure that shows more signs of arguing over
minutiae than actually obtaining the position of authority that ICANN
promised long ago.  I am reminded of the fighting among the kingdoms of
Lilliput.

The point that I am trying to make here are these:

The ALAC is too entrenched to expect that it will go.  (But then again,
there is reason to believe that ICANN's lever of authority is going to
start fading thus, in turn, obviating the ALAC.)

However, in the larger world of yet-to-be-formed bodies of internet
governance it would be wrong for the community of internet users to
accept the kind of subordinate, weakened role that things like the ALAC
represent.

The cry "Never Again" although from another context is apropos.

> With regard to the history, yep, I've heard all of it before.

Yes, and as I've quoted Satyandra's aphorism before.  But I did not
raise the simularity between the ALAC hierarchy and the hierarchy of
soviets in the defunct USSR.

The trouble with the track you are taking - one of optimism - is that I
don't think that I am alone in finding myself unable to raise enough
optimism to overcome the fact that the ALAC was designed with the
express intent for it to be crippled.

I've tried over the years to give the ALAC the benefit of the doubt; in
no small part through my efforts the public may eventually get one board
seat.  But that does not mean that I'm going to blind myself to the
incapacities that were designed into the ALAC to prevent it from
affecting the goals of ICANN's $$ based "stakeholders".

	--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org