[governance] ITU vs. ICANN

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Fri Oct 15 18:13:20 EDT 2010

I disagree. The Interim ALAC was a very different creature, and the true
ALAC really can be said to have begun with the creation of the RALOs. That
means that the ALAC most certainly isn't 7 years old at all. The regional
input is much more than you admit, and ALAC members voted for by the RALOs
are voted on by the members of the ALS organisations -  and they give
direction to their reps on pretty much everything. ALSes also provide
members for working groups and task forces, and since the inception of the
RALOs, there have been many more new participants in all aspects of ICANN
and indeed, IG. Many of the ALS members are from developing and
underdeveloped areas, and it makes ALAC much more representative. It isn't
perfect by any means, but it needs to be praised for what it does and not
just abused  for what it doesn't, or isn't.
Jacqueline