[governance] ITU vs. ICANN

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Oct 13 09:27:34 EDT 2010

On 12/10/2010 23:01, Karl Auerbach wrote :
> It seems to me that if one actually believes that governments are
> merely expressions of human sovereignty, that authority derives from
> the consent of the governed, then it would follow that in matters of
> internet governance that corporate and governmental voices should fall
> before the weight of the collective opinion of the community of people
> affected by the internet.
>
> Sure, this may be considered unobtainable fantasy by some, but if we
> don't aim at something worth having, they why should we even bother
> with the effort?

"authority derives from the consent of the governed"

In your and my country, perhaps. On a planetary scale, that's a
minority. Hence the big hubbub from some governments feeling they need
to control this horrible thing called "Internet", which might actually
get them to, oh sacrilege, have to be accountable to their citizens at
some point in time. And that's unlikely to be happening anytime soon.

What we are witnessing is a 19th century organization functioning in the
20th century, trying to control a 21st century Internet.
It ain't gonna happen.

Kind regards,

Olivier

--