[governance] ITU vs. ICANN

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 10:45:10 EDT 2010

2010/10/8 "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang"
<wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>:
> "US and Russia face off over ICANN veto power

Now apparently the Syrians have weighed in on this one:

http://gibc.biz/2010/10/us-government-misplaced-concerns/

"What’s on the table?

A common proposals document put forward by the Arab States, for
example, contains one proposal – by the representative of Syria – that
argues “the current domain name system does not fully reflect the
diverse and growing language needs of all users because the
supervisory entity, ICANN, an American corporation, is subject under
its agreement with the United States government, represented by the
National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), to
the laws and jurisdiction of the United States of America”.

It calls for the government body within ICANN (the Governmental
Advisory Committee, or GAC) to be given oversight powers of ICANN,
“such that the latter becomes subject to GAC decisions”. And it
suggests that GAC is reformed along the same lines as the ITU
Council."

--
Cheers,

McTim