[governance] A Group of ITU Members vs. the IGF

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Oct 10 18:42:09 EDT 2010

May I be so bold as to ask, what is new about this?
The ITU and (much more importantly, its major member states) have been against MS-ism and for inter-governmentalism consistently and unrelentingly for the past decade. All the incidents you recount, Wolfgang, could have been drawn from WSIS experience.

The major advocates of that point of view have been, consistently, Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, and a few other Arabs states. Nothing new there. Brazil and South Africa were originally (in the days of WSIS) making the same noises only stronger, but have since backed off. So insofar as there is something new, it seems that the intergovernmentalists are gradually losing support.

My advice: in challenging ITU/intergovernmentalism/sovereigntism, etc., remember that the point is to give _people_ rights to self-govern. It is NOT to defend existing IG institutions.

--MM
     governance at lists.cpsr.org