[governance] A Group of ITU Members vs. the IGF

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Sat Oct 9 13:23:08 EDT 2010

On 10/09/2010 12:40 PM, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
> Dear Bill,
>
> You are definitely pointing a major concern that should have IGC take
> a strong position against as well as raise this issue in the upcoming
> open consultation as well as the CSTD IGF improvements working group.
> Do you deem it feasible that we use this thread to develop a position
> statement from IGC to both the IGF and CSTD against the issue?

I really hope something like this will start.

Norbert

> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 3:20 PM, William Drake
> <william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is related to the message I just sent concerning the ITU/GAC proposal, but it merits a different thread.  The list discussion has all been building off the Kevin Murphy piece Wolfgang circulated.  Alas, the article being ICANN-oriented did not bother to take note of another part of the RCC proposal that should be of some concern here.  The Russian text includes a section on The Future of the Internet Governance Forum that says, inter alia,
>>
>> "The WSIS Forum 2010 was held in May 2010 in Geneva, and the venue for the next one, in 2011, is the United Nations headquarters in New York.  The question of Internet governance is just one of the many questions raised by WSIS, and it would appear logical that IGF should in future be held as part of the WSIS Forum in order for there to be a common platform for all stakeholders seeking to implement WSIS outcomes. This will serve to broaden the audience, particularly within developing countries, and reduce costs for organizers and participants alike. Proposal: To consider IGF as a part of the WSIS Forum in the interests of combining efforts, facilitating participation, especially for developing-country representatives, reducing costs and avoiding duplication of effort."
>>
>> So voila.  This isn't exactly news either, I had ITU staffers tell me in Tunis when the IGF was endorsed that "we'll be running this thing in five years."   There's always been a contingent of governments, generally the same ones supporting ITU uber ICANN, arguing that ITU should have the IGF; indeed, the Russians said this in Tunis, and insisted on the inclusion in the mandate of those provisions about ITU competence etc.  And Toure et al have in the past held up the WTPF, the WSIS Forum, etc as evidence that the ITU does this sort of thing better.   All of which harks back to our earlier debate on the WSIS Forum and whether it would be a swell idea to hold it in NYC where UN GA reps could see what a proper UN forum looks like, etc.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Bill

>> William J. Drake
>> Senior Associate
>> Centre for International Governance
>> Graduate Institute of International and
>>  Development Studies
>> Geneva, Switzerland
>> william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
>> www.graduateinstitute.ch/cig/drake.html
>> www.linkedin.com/in/williamjdrake

If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia, please visit
The Mirror, a regular review of the Cambodian language press in English.

This is the latest weekly editorial of The Mirror:

The Influence of the Internet on Cambodia
Sunday, 3.10.2010

http://tinyurl.com/32suhs5
(to read it, click on the line above.)

And here is something new from time to time - at least every weekend:
The NEW ADDRESS of The Mirror:

http://www.cambodiamirror.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org