[governance] ITU vs. ICANN

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Oct 8 12:50:05 EDT 2010

On Friday 08 October 2010 09:30 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>

> interesting question.
>
> if the ITU so decides, what difference would it actually really make?
> other than raising heat and discord levels, that is.
>
> there is no reason that ICANN would have to accept this decision.
> in fact, according to California law, it cannot accept an external veto.

I am very much against ITU taking over ICANN tasks or taking over its
supervision, but try not quoting the control of ICANN by California law
favorably to keep people like me on this of the argument :)

More substantially, I remain of the firm view, expressed often here,
that our best bet is a new global IG policy and supervisory
dispensation, which inter alia replaces US's supervision over the ICANN
( with ICANN continuing to do all the technical functions it does at
present ), and which is more more open, with multistakeholder
participation - a new age body. I  am also of the view that such a body
(with the characteristics we want it to have, or close about ) was more
likely at WSIS, more likely in the 2007 than today, still more likely
today then it will be the next year, and its likelihood will keep coming
down as time passes and more and more governments understand the
Internet and how to control it.... There may just still be time.

The alternatives to what I propose is an emerging IG regime, which is
shaping up right now in front of our eyes, with the following compoments
- greater ITU role, plus ACTA kind of plurilateral treaties
undemocratically imposed on less powerful governments, plus national
governments doing arbitrary and ad hoc controls and regulation over the
Internet plus ad hoc GAC's interventions, without then being based on an
clear principles, plus of course US being able to do anything it wants
to the global critical Internet resources whenever it wants to (see
discussions on COICA Bill in the US).

The best way forward for  civil society is to support a global process
of developing general principles for Internet policies, along with new
institutional mechanism to overlook the implementation of these
principles and policies. And it will be best if civil society takes lead
in this. That would our best best way to get as much foot in as
possible..... I just keep hoping one day we will wake up to this
imperative :) Parminder