AW: [governance] IISD comment on the draft

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu Oct 7 06:53:00 EDT 2010

Hi all

CONGO was well involved in WSIS because it was Renata who took the burden. I missed CONGO in recent WSIS and IGF activities. It would be good to have someone like Renata back in the drivers seat. But as long as no new Renata is there, I would have some reservations.

However, I agree that we have to go beyond IGC. But the involved other groups have to have a clear understanding of IG and linkage to constitutencies active in this field. What we have so far is the ALAC/ALSs structures under ICANN, the CISAC under OECD and, in a broader sense, WSIS accredited NGOs which have expressed an interest in IG. It needs obviously some coordination.

One way out could be - remember the WSIS CS Structures - thast we propose under a renewed IGF/MAG  a "Civil Society Internet Governance Coordination Group" (CS-IGCG) which would be open for all kind of CS IG networks. The IGC would be certainly a key driver wirthin the CS-IGCG. And it would be a signal that the IGC hos no intention to monopolize it.

Wolfgang