[governance] SECOND DRAFT response to MAG questionnaire

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Oct 7 05:48:50 EDT 2010

>On Wednesday 06 October 2010 01:40 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>
>>On 06/10/2010, at 3:31 PM, parminder wrote:
>>
>>>On the question 6. How best to link with
>>>international processes and institutions?
>>>
>>>I think we need to propose ways beyond
>>>ensuring circulation of information. We should
>>>ask for real policy related engagements,
>>>whereby the IGF is able to give recs to these
>>>institutions in their area of policy making
>>>competence, and these other institutions are
>>>encouraged to bring policy issues on which
>>>they will like to have a larger debate/
>>>dialogue to the IGF, and the IGF then reverts
>>>back on outcomes of the discussion/ dialogue.
>>>I also read some such intention in the Tunis
>>>Agenda para on IGF mandate.
>>>

>>You'll note that at the top of my email I
>>claimed that I had added new text to the answer
>>to question 6 about this, but in fact I had
>>accidentally omitted it and the text was
>>identical to the first draft.  Here is what I
>>had intended to add, based on suggested text
>>from July, but you may have something better to
>>contribute.
>>
>>"In either case, such summaries transmitted
>>from the IGF need not take the form of
>>recommendations (though in the rare event that
>>a rough consensus had been reached on a
>>particular issue, there is no reason why they
>>couldn't take that form).
>>

>Tunis Agenda expressly includes making
>recommendations among IGF's tasks. I see no
>reason why we should say ' need not take the
>form of recommendations' and make it look like a
>very unlikely possibility, rather seeking
>clearer action to realise that part of IGF's
>mandate.

It's worth remembering what the Tunis agenda
actually says about recommendations:

"Identify emerging issues, bring them to the
attention of the relevant bodies and the general
public, and, where appropriate, make
recommendations."

Quite narrow.

It would be better to follow language used by Mr.
Sha in his briefing on the continuation of the
forum, in summarizing what speakers suggested by
way of improvements to the IGF:

More visibility for outcomes, and possibly the ability to make recommendations.

<http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/usg/statements/internet-governance-forum2.shtml>

Which I think would be close to Jeremy's
language.  Copying in Mr. Sha's words might be
helpful.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org